Creating your music or book is a labor of love (or you aren’t doing it right) but it can feel very hard to get to the next step of doing the actual publishing of your work – putting it in the public eye.
The first hurdle is having the courage to go public but I assume you have that pretty well licked seeing you finished your work. Doing the practical work of compiling your album or book, getting covers made and the work posted requires a different set of skills and an exacting eye (or ear) for detail.
Let’s face it, not all creative types have the skills or patience for the mundane but very necessary work that needs to be done to get their work presented in the right light to be able to be considered as a “professionally” published work.
This is where we can assist you because we have done it a time or two (or 75 in Benedict’s case).
We can take your completed album or book and, with the right info from you, format your work for electronic publication, create covers, create the account and upload the work ensuring everything is neat as a pin tidy, ready to listen to or read.
What You Get
Here is what our Release Project package delivers for you (1 album or 1 book):
|Digital Music Album||eBook|
|Create an account on Bandcamp.com in your band name (unless you already have an account)||Create an account on Smashwords.com in your name or your pen name (unless you already have an account)|
|Build your Bio (from material provided)||Build your Bio (from material provided)|
|Assess your material for obvious errors and make recommendations for adjustment.||Assess your material for obvious errors and make recommendations for adjustment.|
|Finalize the tracks and album for release. This includes things like any “light mastering” required for tracks/album and establishing running order.||Finalise the manuscript for release. This includes things like formatting chapters and styles, adding preamble and acknowledgments sections and table of contents.|
|Create cover artwork: Front cover (12cm x 12cm) and printable Jewel Case cover 24cm x 12cm). Art can be created from scratch or based on photos, etc., provided by you.||Create cover artwork: Front cover (9″ x 6″). Art can be created from scratch or based on photos, etc., provided by you.|
|Upload Bio, Tracks & Cover to your Bandcamp account. This can also include Lyrics plus album & song Info if provided.||Upload Bio, prepared manuscript & Cover to your Smashwords account.|
|All masters & original artwork files returned to you in common formats (Wav, Inkscape, Gimp etc.).||All masters & original artwork files returned to you in common formats (docx, Inkscape, Gimp etc).|
|MP3 (320 & 196VBR) files including Tags for promo.||ePub, PDF and mobi files for promo.|
|Inclusion on the top of our Releases page which gives you a bit of exposure as well as an inbound link on publication.||Inclusion on the top of our Releases page which gives you a bit of exposure as well as an inbound link on publication.|
|Banner Advert on Unigon Plane for 1 month||Banner Advert on Unigon Plane for 1 month|
|We will also include pro-forma emails for cover letters to media outlets like Blogs, Reviewers and other similar avenues of exposure.||We will also include pro-forma emails for cover letters to media outlets like Blogs, Reviewers and other similar avenues of exposure.|
|AUD $200||AUD $200|
If you would like to get us working on this for your upcoming album or book, please Contact Us with your request and we will arrange for the payment and get to work.
If you have a preferred person you wish to work with then please ask but generally, Benedict will handle Music and Jane will handle books. We almost always refer to each other on everything anyway.
Release Project Package FAQ
When should I get started with you on this? Early. Time can easily get away if you don’t have a good plan. Work out when you want your album or book to go live then work back a few months. Most Bloggers or Review sites like to get submissions before the item hits the streets. Many media outlets won’t cover something that is already released – they like to get a scoop. This means you need to get the promo materials completed and out the door in plenty of time. Depending on how busy we are we can usually get your work turned around in about a week (provided you included everything we need first up). This suggests to me that you may want to allow 3 months between when your work is “in the can” and when it is hurled into public. If you are talking to us at the start of the three months then you still have plenty of time to be emailing blogs, live venues etc.
How much will it cost, how & when do I have to pay and why oh why isn’t it only $199? The price is $200 for the core work. If you have other needs then we will need to understand and then quote you. Please don’t assume anything you think of is included as it can’t be on a limited budget. We will respond to your request through the Contact Us page and request full payment via Pay Pal because they are really safe for all. Other methods won’t work for us, and that includes vague promises of returned favors. As for that extra $1 that makes it $200; we all know that $199 is really $200 in disguise. None of us need the flummery.
What will you need from me? The most obvious thing is a finished album or book. That is a full album of music that is well mixed or a book that is complete and checked. Above all, a work of Art that is ready to go. For a Music album, we will want WAVE Files and Tracklisting. For a Book, we will want a common word processor file. That is the core, we then need:
- Biographical material incl photos to build a concise Bio on you – which is a very, very good idea. If you don’t want photos of yourself then please consider why. If it is because you think yourself un-pretty or otherwise dull or unremarkable then remember Susan Boyle… nuf sed.
- Genre is an annoyance at times as people seem to hold it above the actual work of art but still need to provide people with a sense of where your work fits. If you are not sure we are happy to provide some suggestions. What we strongly hope to avoid is a list of a trillion things like Jane of Evil are Thrash/Grindcore/Punk/Black Metal/Pop/Folk/Trance/Disco/Experimental/Alternative/Hyper Jazz/Symphonic/Insect Chirp/Silence Blast. Really, how fascinating. Not! Start at the main categories like Folk, Pop, Sci-Fi, Romance… and then add a modifier if really necessary like Hungarian Folk. More makes you look silly.
- Cover Art. We will also need any photos or other material you want to form your cover artwork in high quality. This means high-resolution files. A CD cover is 1417 x 1417 pixels which are more dots than a Full HD TV picture. Also, make sure any photos are well focused and composed as we are not able to remove your ex or power poles. If you have no ideas we can come up with something but this can be a bit hit and miss if you really had an idea but didn’t share it assuming we would just know to do that.
- Blurbs, Info, Lyrics etc. may seem dull but they can have a huge impact on whether a person picks up a work or not. You may struggle to write one but if you don’t try then we will assume you don’t want these things. We are happy to finesse and help make sure that album Info, Lyrics, jacket Blurbs are all there to increase how professionally your work presents.
What will you NOT be doing for us? Bit harder to answer as that is an almost infinite list but let’s cover a few of the common mistakes people can avoid:
- Music Mastering is not our thing. We are not a Mastering House engaged in winning the Loudness Wars. However, we are happy to provide a light finalization to ensure tracks are well behaved for volume within themselves and across the album. We are not here to fix poor mixes. If you are worried then please seek advice before proceeding.
- Editing for your book is also another task entirely. If you want a full “up close and personal” editing of your book’s plot and characterizations we can do that, but generally, you want that before you are getting to covers and publication in general.
- Endless Revisions because a) you haven’t paid for it and b) it suggests that you weren’t ready and that is not something we can fix for you at this late stage. An artwork is never really finished in the mind of the creator but a lot of creating is learning when to let go. Fly, be free my pretties. There will be another album or book where you can explore those things that plague you.
- Make You Famous any more than promise you lottery wins. This is a hard and often unrewarding road. You should be doing it from a need to express more than a desire for accolades. What we can do is help you cast yourself in the best light. Commonly the difference between Professional vs Unprofessional quality is in the attention to detail. Independent works can (and should) present every bit as well as anything from a major publishing house – at least with respect to the writing and presentation of the work. After that, it comes down to…
- Promotion & Marketing is outside of our remit altogether. You need to do that legwork for yourself or hire a Promoter (at great cost and probably minimal reward). It is dull and sometimes really hurtful to do this work but it is the thing that stands between you and anonymity. Also, you must accept that luck and fashion are great drivers of what people like and don’t like so sometimes you just won’t win. Change your product or focus more pointedly on those who do want your thing.
- Promise to Review your work We will have to keep a line between what we have worked on and what we review. This doesn’t mean that we will refuse to review your work but we need to make sure that Unigon Plane doesn’t become a thinly veiled front for a commercial scamterprise. Reviews need to be genuine to be trusted and valuable.
We wish you all the luck in the world with your artistic endeavors and are happy to help you get your next work born right if you Contact Us.